Monday, May 21, 2012

"Dreaming within Dreams?"

If you have read my first blog, you will know what I am trying to do with this website.  I desire to convey my love for movies by sharing what I discover with others.  Whether it be critiquing, sharing my favorite movies or discussing up and coming movies to hit the big screens, I want to be able to get a group of people that share my love for movies, so we can have fun discussing with each other.
I share all that to bring up my first movie I would like to talk about. And that is the movie "Inception."  Ahhh, I do not even know where to begin! Ok, first of all, Christopher Nolan is a directive genius.  His ability to direct and put together incredible cinematography is clearly proven in "Inception" and of course "Dark Knight" (which I will be discussing in a future blog when I write about the new and upcoming Batman, which I am extremely excited for!) But, not only is it his ability to direct and write, which makes this movie incredible. His stellar cast portray his script perfectly.  Leonardo DiCaprio(Shutter Island), Joseph Gordon-Levitt(50/50), Ellen Page(Juno) and English actor Tom Hardy(who was brought to the attention of the entertainment mainstream because of his role in this movie), compliment each other almost too perfectly.  
On the top of these reasons, "Inception is currently holding firmly to the 14th spot of IMDB's top movies' list.  (side-note:since I have all ready alluded to IMDB twice I would like to do a short commercial break.  This stands for International movie Database and has a plethura of information to browse through.  I get a lot of my information and bits of trivia from this site)Anyways, I was wondering what any readers thought of this movie?  Did you like/dislike this movie and what are your reasons for either/or?   Also, I am curious to know your ideas on the explanation of the ending of the movie?  As Cobb(DiCaprio) proceeds to see his kids and arrive back home, the top is seen spinning continuously, and the movie ends?  Is this reality, or has the entire movie been a dream interwoven in dreams?  Please share any thoughts!!       

If you have just visited my site, you are probably wondering what it is all about.  My name is Josh and I am using this blog as a site where readers can receive movie buzz and plugins for movies and share their opinion on those movies. I would love to hear your opinion on whether or not the director and actors did a good job and what could of made the movie better.


 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/    

8 comments:

  1. Josh, I like this idea for a blog; I hope to weigh in when I have seen the movie and can toss in my two cents :),

    Inception is my favorite movie of all time. There are several reasons for this, but ultimately I believe the reason that it resonated most is within the center of Nolan's genius. If you watched the Prestige, one of Nolan's earlier movies, Nolan presented at the end of the movie what I believe to be his unifying theme within all his movies. I'll try to do this spoiler free, but it may not be possible for a line of this gravity.

    At the end of Prestige, the two magicians who have been locked in a bitter feud remember the their struggle against one another, and one character reminisces that "You never understood, why we did this (magic acts). The audience knows the truth: the world is simple. It's miserable, solid all the way through. But if you could fool them, even for a second, then you can make them wonder, and then you got to see something really special... it was the look on their faces."

    I believe that this line sums up Nolan's philosophy of movie making and taps into something that is true about our world and people in general. I believe that this is why the movie registered so strongly. Because we know that the world is miserable, but if he can fool us, to draw us out of our world and give us a sensation of awe and amazement, then he has done what every artist attempts to do.

    I believe that this is why Inception so captured the country upon its release and why it is such a tremendous film. Nolan has actively created genuine characters with whom the audience resonates and drawn us into an incredible what if. I think Inception also answers this question itself with the statement that we all long for catharsis. And the catharsis that Robert Fischer and Dom Cobb experienced was certainly strong! I wonder if the plot to change Robert Fischer is not also a view into the back end of how Nolan crafts his stories.

    That's my two cents on Inception and greater Nolan filmography.

    BTW, the top falls, but it doesn't matter because the whole point is to make us wonder. ;)

    Hope you enjoyed my thoughts,
    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you very much for your input Joe. I really appreciate it and would love to have you comment on my posts. This is exactly the reason why I started this blog, because I love talking about movies. And I love that you mentioned "Prestige." I love that movie and that quote is remarkable! Thank you for your comment. I agree with everything you posted. Do you have any movies I should blog about? If so please share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to hear your take on the Avengers and Hunger Games (or even a pass at popular books that become movies), as well as a preview of your thoughts on Amazing Spider Man and Brave. Those are the movies I've seen this summer or am planning to see (excluding Dark Knight Rises of course).

    I also wouldn't be against hearing about any of my top 5 favorite movies:
    1) Inception
    2) The Prestige
    3) The Matrix
    4) I Am Legend
    5) The Dark Knight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent movies Joe! I love all of them! I will definitely be posting about the the Dark knight once Dark Knight Rises comes out! Are you excited???? lol I sure am!

      Delete
  4. Inception was pretty great but I would say the plot, acting, and twists of Prestige actually make it a better movie overall. (though it is a little lacking in special effects)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank your input Brandon. I appreciate it, do you have any movies you would like me to blog about in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't a big fan of the movie when I watched it. It could be for multiple reasons though, such as not interested in the plot, didn't really sit down to watch it and keep up with what was going on, or just wasn't fond of the actors. But I believe the movie was a little out there. But since I have read all these comments, I will give the movie another chance and let you know if my opinions have changed. Just for you Z!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your input!

    Thank you for honest critique about the movie. Some movies are not for everyone. But, you never know until you watch it again. Maybe your view will change, and maybe it won't. That is okay. This is why I am writing these editorials, to hear other's opinions as to whether or not the movie was good.

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics